Monday 13 January 2014

THE SPIRIT OF LEEUWIN


Over the last 5 months students from the University of Notre Dame have been working very closely around the ship,crew and Leeuwin office creating a documentary on 'The Spirit of Leeuwin.' The documentary aimed to focus on a community project or issue and after road trips to Bunbury, interviews after interviews and even a spot of sailing, the film crew produced this creative piece that goes behind the scenes and captures the true Spirit of Leeuwin; all that we are and all that we do. 



Creating the documentary meant working within time restrictions so unfortunately a lot of the amazing sections of each interview were not able to be included but there is so many good things to be said about Leeuwin and how it has impacted on so many lives. We would like to share a few of the grabs that weren't featured but definitely describe the Spirit behind Leeuwin.

“I guess one of the best things about Leeuwin is that quite often you go out to sea for 7 days in this completely new environment and when you come back there might be a chance of you never seeing the people on board again and so throughout those 7 days you have the license to be anyone you want. It doesn’t matter who you are back at home, how people pressure you into certain behaviours or groups – when you’re out there you can just be yourself. That’s the great thing about it.” 
- Jeffrey Poon, Volunteer.

“Initially Leeuwin for me was just an adventure, something to get away for a little while. The way it changed my life just gave me something different to go for, it gave me another social outlet that I possibly wouldn’t have had otherwise. It almost gave me a second lease on life I suppose, because I would have been a completely different person if I hadn’t of gone and experienced something that was so completely foreign to me. Coming from a small farming background, it was very confined I s’pose, and then coming to Leeuwin – it offered a massive social opportunity. After that initial ‘shot in the arm’ I realised that I could continue this and volunteer and it formed my entire life as a result because it gave me something to aim for that I would never of thought of otherwise. It’s something I wouldn't of thought to do and once it was in front of me, I couldn’t have thought of anything else.” 
- Aidan MacDougall, Chef STS Leeuwin II

“I had no idea what to expect on my first trainee voyage but for me I was on a ship with 40 other people around my age that I had never met before and I made a lot of friends out of that voyage but I think, better was coming back and volunteering and I got to know those people better. Sailing with people is a really great way to make friendships fast because it’s so intense because you’re in a little cabin with 5 other people, you eat with them, you do everything with them, so it's a very close community."
- Chloe Hosking, Volunteer

“The permanent crew are involved with every aspect of running the voyage. They’re all great – they’re all really enthusiastic about both sailing and youth development and they have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for running the same program every week. It’s always new and it’s always exciting because they make it like that.”
  - Chloe Hosking, Volunteer

“Once you step on a voyage, the age barriers of the people on as trainees with you, they kind of just go;  you become all equals, all sailors. You’re all there doing the same thing for the same purpose; it’s very inspiring.”
 - Ashleigh Tapper, Communications Manager 

No comments:

Post a Comment